The Japan-America Society of New Hampshire
The mission of the Japan-America Society of New Hampshire is to:
a. Establish an institution to promote education and arts and sciences between the peoples of New Hampshire and Japan.
b. Promote the prosperity and understanding between the cities of Japan and New Hampshire, including but not limited to the sister city relationship between the Japanese city of Nichinan and Portsmouth.
c. Bring together the peoples of Japan and New Hampshire (i.e. foster tourism) to facilitate goodwill, understanding and cooperation between public and private institutions through cultural, academic and business resources in New Hampshire and Japan.
d. Foster cultural, social and educational interchanges between New Hampshire and Japan.
e. Sponsor educational, social and cultural programs and events offering an understanding of cultural and social similarities and differences between Japan and the United States
The Portsmouth Peace Treaty Centennial celebration incorporates all of these objectives in a program of events that specifically draws visitors to venues in and around Portsmouth, New Hampshire.
Previous Japan-America Society events have brought international visitors to Portsmouth while providing cultural enrichment to those in the state. In particular, the four public Portsmouth Peace Treaty Forums held in 1994, 1995, 1999 and 2000 included scholars from Russia, Japan, and US colleges and universities.
The Japan-America Society welcomes new members. Membership categories include:
- Individual -- Full range of membership benefits for one person. Annual dues, $25.
- Student -- Full range of membership benefits except member's voting privileges, for a full-time student (current ID from an accredited college or university must accompany application), $15.
- Family -- Full membership benefits for all family members in one household, $40.
- Business -- Full range of benefits for small businesses (under 25 employees), $100.
- Corporate -- Full range of membership benefits for corporations and partnerships with more than 25 employees, $200.
Membership dues support newletters and other written communications, programs, receptions, social events and other membership services.
To join, click here, or contact
The Japan-American Society of New Hampshire
82 Court Street
Portsmouth NH 03801